St Peter’s story began in 1924, when Arthur Broadhurst left his family’s prosperous cotton business in England to pursue his dream – to establish a preparatory boys’ school in New Zealand. This year, 2021, marks the 85th birthday of St Peter’s. Did AFB ever imagine that his little boys prep school would grow to become one of New Zealand’s top independent co-educational boarding schools. An enduring legacy.
In honour of Mr Broadhurst and all who went before, The Structo Saxo Society is being launched this year. The Structo Saxo Society will represent those gracious and generous individuals who recognise St Peter’s in their Will through a gift, large or small. Mr Broadhurst set the example way back in 1936-1960 when he personally financed a number of scholarships for boys who could not afford to attend St Peter’s. Mr Thornton, Headmaster from 1960-1978, also dedicated his life to the wellbeing and success of St Peter’s.
Please consider joining The Structo Saxo Society. “Structo Saxo” – Built on a Rock. Your bequest gift, no matter how small, will help keep building upon the rock.
MAKING A GIFT IN YOUR WILL
A will is very personal and we strongly advise that you consult your legal advisor before drafting a new will or updating an existing one. We are happy to discuss your wishes but do not offer direct legal or financial advice on estate planning.
If you are considering a gift to St Peter’s in your will, here is some suggested wording to ensure that your wishes are carried out:
“I give and bequeath to the St Peter’s School Foundation, a charitable trust registered with the New Zealand Charities Commission (CC35195)
$ (a specific dollar amount)
% (a specific percentage) of my estate
% (the whole or specific percentage) of the residue of my estate
(describe precisely the item of property) free from all duties and charges, as a contribution to the St Peter’s School Foundation to be applied for which the receipt of the St Peter’s School Foundation shall be sufficient discharge to my trustees. This short phrase could simply describe the type of recipient or programme that you wish to direct your gift to.
WHO WILL BENEFIT
Donors can choose the area where they would like to direct their gift. Scholarships are much needed at St Peter’s. Other ways to support St Peter’s are through funds for teacher development, the performing arts, technology, sports programmes and the provision of world-class facilities.
Ideally, in addition to your will you can draw up a “statement of intentions” to translate your gift into workable instructions for the St Peter’s Foundation. A “statement of intentions” could include information on:
- The distribution schedule for funds (commencement date, frequency)
- The process of distribution (application process, decision-makers)
- How St Peter’s can recognise and acknowledge you or your nominee as a donor.
OUR COMMITMENT TO YOU
If you are considering leaving a gift in your will to the St Peter’s Foundation, we are delighted to make the following commitments to you:
- We will always respect your privacy. We recognise and appreciate that your will is personal. We will handle whatever gift you leave us with care, sensitivity and respect.
- We recognise that your philanthropic commitment may have developed over a significant period and we are committed to honouring your enduring legacy.
- We will respect your wishes in terms of how we communicate with you.
- We will use your gift carefully so that it has the greatest impact; and give you the opportunity to connect with us during your lifetime.
- We will invite you to join the St Peter’s Legacy Society and attend an annual lunch in honour of all our St Peter’s Legacy Society members.
- St Peter’s will purchase much-needed outdoor seating and dedicate it to you.
“Including St Peter’s in my will aligns with my desire to make my life meaningful. I feel that I’m assisting future generations of students to achieve a top-class education, which will hold them in good stead for the future. “
Anonymous Bequest Donor
For more information on including a gift to the St Peter’s Foundation in your will, please contact:
Director of Advancement
St Peter’s School Foundation
Telephone: +64 (0) 7 827 9842
Mobile: +64 (0) 27 808 1936
Private Bag 884